[EM] Decision juries - notes and responses

Joe Weinstein jweins123 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 2 18:06:36 PDT 2002

Josh Narins writes:

"...that's [use of citizen decision juries, presumably]  an interesting and
likeable idea.  Do you think it is entirely original? ..."

Provocative question, Josh!

Arguably no one's idea is 'entirely' original.  Just before I first posted
my ideas about five weeks ago in two longish postings to our main Long Beach
civic reformers' e-list, I checked the internet, and in particular found
that one site, "Innovations in Democracy", has a number of interesting
links.

A number of these led to what I learned was a proposal for a 'citizen jury
process', whose advocates - a Jefferson Institute in Minnesota - claimed to
have USA-trade-registered the phrase 'Citizen Jury' (cap C, cap J) so that
its allegedly 'proper' use could only  be for 'their' process.  Their idea -
implemented apparently in several projects worldwide over the last decade or
so - has elements in common with mine, except for at least one totally
crucial difference.  For them, a 'citizen jury' is a kind of randomly chosen
blue-ribbon investigative committee, whose function is to make credible
reports to the REAL decision-makers, who remain the same good old elite of
elected officers.  For me, the essence of the matter is to take decision
power out of the hands of a special officer elite and distribute it to all
citizens who are willing and available to help make decisions - and do so in
a randomizing and ad hoc manner which helps to frustrate abuse of power and
corruption.

By 'distribute' power, I mean in a way which promotes deliberative decisions
and individuals' immediate involvement in and 'ownership' of specific
decisions, as opposed to remote collective mass-taking of all decisions.
Only one link from 'Innovations...'  led to a site which advocates what I
do, namely actual decision power out of the hands of special officers; but
that site instead opts for techie collectivism:  lots of internet
mass-referenda.

Many small-enough communities have practiced credible forms of 'direct
democracy'.  The challenge is to gain its promise and benefits (both in its
own right, and as compared with the abuses and corruptions of oligarchy) in
a large and complex society.

A friend of mine to whom I sent a copy of my EM-posting suggested that
Jefferson himself would be horrified by the oligarchic stasis into which
American politics has sunk.  Somewhere in this friend's notes on Jefferson
is a paraphrased quote to the effect that 'After 20 years, a man should
sooner wear his boyhood clothes, than a nation should be stuck with its
initial form of government.'

Have a good weekend!  I'm off to try to hike up Mt. Whitney this year too!

Joe Weinstein
Long Beach CA USA