[EM] two bit ratings

Buddha Buck bmbuck at 14850.com
Fri Sep 28 09:19:29 PDT 2001

Forest Simmons <fsimmons at pcc.edu> writes:

> I've been thinking about two bit ballot design.
>

> Can anybody think of another combination of symbols with this property,
> that they are both easily altered into a common third symbol by a stroke
> or two of a pencil?

Well, any symbol that consists of two crossed lines would to: + -> |

You could also do a circle and an X, with a circled X being the combination.

I haven't been following the two-bit ballot discussion too closely, so forgive me if this has been already discussed.  How is a two-bit ballot an improvement over having the voter rank the candidate on scale of 0-3?