[EM] Correction (was: CR style ballots for Ranked Preferences)

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Tue Sep 25 00:53:34 PDT 2001

It appears I misunderstood Mr. Ketchum's earlier post after all:

On Sep. 10, 2001 Dave Ketchum wrote:

> Must be able to combine votes from thousands of precincts.
>
> IRV clearly fails, due to easily declaring wrong winners - also has
> trouble due to vote patterns being important (Condorcet only counts
> pairs, with results that can be easily combined into sums for use in
> deciding on a winner).

It appears that Dave wasn't concerned about consistency after all, but
merely that it should be feasible to combine precinct totals in order to
find an overall winner.  So he was probably more interested in
summability.

Apparently I misunderstood the original post (perhaps the reference to
"vote patterns" threw me), and somehow the subject of consistency became
a sub-thread.  Sorry for the mix-up.

Bart