[EM] Dave's ranked-ballot concerns

Rob LeGrand honky1998 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 23 10:50:42 PDT 2001

Dave Ketchum wrote:
> I can go one step - keep ">" to say what precedes is preferred over what
> follows, and add "=" to say two candidates tie in voter's mind.

Yes, most Condorcet methods allow just that sort of tied preferences in a
ranked ballot.  Even methods such as IRV and Borda can be trivially extended to
allow them, although proponents of those two methods might prefer not to.

> "inconsistent" sounds like "unacceptable".  Puzzling, since what I have
> read of Condorcet sounds acceptable - and the response I got above seems
> only to repeat the word "inconsistent" without explaining why I should care.

I don't think a method's being inconsistent makes it unacceptable.  Please see
Blake's excellent example at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/election-methods-list/message/7989 .

Also see "Miss Lonelyhearts" in Martin Gardner's wonderful book aha! Gotcha for
a similar example and an interesting explanation.

=====
Rob LeGrand
honky98 at aggies.org
http://www.aggies.org/honky98/