[EM] Craig's posts

Rob LeGrand honky1998 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 7 09:15:06 PDT 2001

Roy wrote:
> Has anyone deciphered his election method, described at
> http://www.ijs.co.nz/quota-13.htm
> ? I found his notation unfamiliar and it didn't appear that he'd
> defined the inputs. It purports to be an ideal voting system for
> three-way races.

I believe it's similar to IRV, except that every candidate with a
lower-than-average first-place vote count is eliminated, so one step
sometimes eliminates more than one candidate.  For example:

45:A>B>C
22:B>C>A
33:C>B>A

IRV picks C after eliminating B, but Craig's IFPP eliminates both B
and C in the first step (neither has the quota of 100/3=33.33 votes)
and elects A.  Note that B is the Condorcet winner!  I find IFPP to
be well short of ideal, although Craig claims that it's monotonic at
least.

=====
Rob LeGrand
honky98 at aggies.org