[EM] Craig's posts

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Wed Sep 5 23:52:24 PDT 2001

I am not ready to claim trolling.  There are a variety of complications:
     He is from New Zealand.  I assume they call it English, yet there
are different meanings for words.  For example, when he writes "papers"
I like to read "ballots".
     When he asks for equations he really is trying to drag me into his
math world.  I resist that partly for no time and partly because, while
math can do wondrous things, and his might actually do something useful,
you can also stumble into theories that do not work usefully in the real world.
     He does not like Condorcet.  I now suspect he is working from an
incomplete definition - if he claims failure when he sees a cycle (A>B;
B>C; AND C>A) he would be sort of correct.  Condorcet backers look for
sensible ways to resolve such cycles.
     He does what seem to be serious papers.  I got to some, I think
from this email:
          He likes FirstPastThePost, but sees problems and is defining
an improvement as IFPP.
          He likes FBC, and inspired Forest Simmons to formally define
that yesterday on this reflector (Forest is willing to do equations).

When I joined this reflector (Tuesday) Craig and Forest were debating,
Craig said something unkind about Condorcet, and I could not resist
joining in at 16:40 EDT.

Dave Ketchum

--
 davek at clarityconnect.com    http://www.clarityconnect.com/webpages3/davek
   Dave Ketchum     108 Halstead Ave, Owego, NY  13827-1708    607-687-5026