[EM] Craig's strategy puzzle

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Sun May 27 22:23:30 PDT 2001

LAYTON Craig wrote:

> Bart wrote (in part):
>
> >But as a practical matter, this isn't really necessary in order to know
> >how to vote.  It's clear that approving C provides a several-fold
> >increase in the likelihood of defeating D, more than making up for the
> >utility compromise.
>
> It's interesting to note that most of the people who responded to the
> example thought that bullet voting A would be the best option.

Are you sure -- I thought I was the only one, and mainly because I
didn't pay enough attention to the numbers.  I thought the rest of the
respondents chose the ABC strategy.

> >Whether to also approve B, or to just "skip vote"
> >for A and C, is probably worth a coin-toss.
>
> Is there ever a clear motivation to "skip vote"?  I had always understood
> that there is never any incentive to vote insincerely in Approval.

Probably not a clear motivation, but at least in theory it can sometimes
be slightly better to skip vote.  It's generally considered negligible,
at least for public elections.

But there IS never any incentive to skip your favorite.