[EM] Thoughts on majority potential simulations

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Mon May 21 17:00:46 PDT 2001

Tony,

Your comments below remind me that it would be interesting to do a
singular value analysis to find the effective dimension of the issue
space.  Just throw out the dimensions corresponding to relatively small
singular values. The eigenvectors corresponding to the larger eigenvalues
would give the natural combinations of issues that the various dominant
factions disagree on.

I also have a "poor man's singular value decomposition" based on L_1 and
L_infinity norms that might go better with the spaces that we are dealing
with, thinking along Richard's line of reasoning.

I have more thoughts along these lines, but am late for class.

Forest