[EM] IRV inconsistency

Markus Schulze schulze at sol.physik.tu-berlin.de
Wed May 16 14:21:32 PDT 2001

Dear Forest,

You wrote (16 May 2001):
> Any Condorcet method that fails the RSC does so only in cases
> where there is no Condorcet Winner.

I see the danger that you formulate your desiderata in such a
manner that they are either meaningless (when the reader doesn't
consider the Condorcet criterion important) or trivial (when the
reader considers the Condorcet criterion important).

It doesn't make much sense to criticize IRV for violating the
consistency criterion and then to promote Condorcet methods and
to say that a violation of the consistency criterion is not a
problem when the used election method meets the Condorcet criterion.
And it doesn't make much sense to criticize IRV for violating
reversal symmetry and then to promote a Condorcet method that
violates reversal symmetry and to say that a violation of reversal
symmetry is not a problem when the used election method meets the
Condorcet criterion. As Blake Cretney wrote to Mike Ossipoff
(16 Apr 2001):

> You must admit that if you rail against IRV's non-monotonicity,
> and then propose a method that is non-monotonic, you're going to
> run into some rhetorical problems.

Markus Schulze