IRV inconsistency

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Tue May 15 22:36:19 PDT 2001

Mr. Simmons wrote in part-

As Richard says, IRV ignores and trashes valuable information willy nilly
and still pretends to come up with a top notch winner. All of IRV's
shortcomings can be traced back to this wasting of information.
---
D-
For newer folks (and a reminder for older folks) -- with 3 or more choices
(or even 2 choices)-- there are Head to Head and place votes tables.

Head to Head Table (/ = ahead of)
       A     B     C
A     X    A/B  A/C
B    B/A   X     B/C
C    C/A   C/B    X

Place Votes Table
        1     2    3
A     A1  A2  A3
B     B1   B2  B3
C     C1   C2  C3

IRV only uses the 1st choice votes part of the Place Votes Table which is why
it is so defective.

FFrom election-methods-list-request at eskimo.com  Wed May 16 03:18:30 2001