[EM] Anthony on mathematics and logic

Anthony Simmons asimmons at krl.org
Fri May 11 13:51:41 PDT 2001

>> From: MIKE OSSIPOFF
>> Subject: [EM] Anthony on mathematics and logic

I'm not going to respond to each paragraph individually.
There are too many, and too much of it is devoted to
pointless machinations.  I will just respond to each topic.

On whether Richard's diagram shows something of interest to
voters:  I no longer even recall the details of Richard's
argument.  What I do recall is that it concerned how many
votes have to be moved, and how far they have to be moved, in
order to create a configuration that qualifies as a win.
Thus, Richard not only dealt with the overwhelming concern
of voters -- how their votes are reflected in the outcome --
but he even quantified his argument, and offered proof.

About this:

  >> By the way, are you one of the mathematically-trained
  >> people that Blake referred to, the ones whose words are
  >> especially valid? :-)

Accounting is training.  Mathematics is education.

If you mean, do I write haiku in Fortran, yes, I'd have to
admit that's me.

On namecalling:  Here is the definitive line:

  >> You see, that's the repetition that finally caused me to
  >> say things like twit, jackass, and idiot.

-- that it was my actions that caused you to be abusive.

No, I did not make you do it.

  >>Namecalling? When someone keeps repeating the same thing
  >>for long enough, on an issue that's been settled long
  >>ago, it's reasonable for someone else to finally lose
  >>patience and say things like "idiot".

Aside from the fact that this is an attempt to blame the
victim, I don't know how anyone could get the idea that
verbal abuse is reasonable just because it's a response to
having heard something repeated.  Nor was it merely a passing
comment.

  >> Anyone can lose patience with the kind of person who
  >> endlessly repeats the same blather about a long-
  >> concluded issue from a long-concluded discussion.

Anyone?  I was subjected to repeated name-calling, and did
not respond with abuse.  Neither have others.  I hardly see
that being subjected to a repetition qualifies as
overwhelming provocation.  Or any provocation at all,
frankly.

  >> . . .  But you must understand that after a certain
  >> amount of your inane repetition about concluded issues,
  >> those words just have a way of eventually slipping in.  ...

Verbal abuse doesn't just slip in by itself.  It is not
caused by a virus.

  >> First I try to subtly and politely answer that you
  >> needn't keep repeating it, and then eventually I really
  >> have no recourse but to try something less subtle to try
  >> to make it sink in.  . . .

You had no recourse???  That is a truly bizarre claim.  You
could also have declined to answer.  That was a recourse.
You could have been civil.  That was a recourse.  At least
most people had those options.

  >> . . .  I guess the namecalling was intended
  >> to get your attention, to direct your attention to the
  >> matter of whether it's really necessary to keep up the
  >> repetition on an issue that was settled a long time ago.

It was intended to serve the same purpose as any other name
calling.

On the value of Richard's remarks:

  >> Anyone can say that their mathematical approach is what
  >> accurately measures the will of the voters. The IRV
  >> advocates say that. The Margies say that. The Borda
  >> advocates say that too. It's a worthless claim unless
  >> it's supported by showing how the arguments relate to
  >> concerns expressed by voters. But someone as
  >> mathematically-trained as you are would understand
  >> that...right?

Richard quantified deviation from the will of the voters,
defined in terms of the ballots, and then used the diagram to
demonstrate his claim precisely.  How can knowing how the
outcome deviates from the will of the voters be of no
concern?

And then there's this:

  >> Now, you've said that I'm wrong about the voters wanting
  >> IRV because it has never been officially adopted.

  >> I reply:

  >> I said that? That's odd, because IRV has been officially
  >> adopted in Australia & Ireland.

Of course, you left out what I was responding to, as it
specifies the U.S., making it clear exactly what "not
officially adopted" means:

  >> I have no idea what you're talking about. In the U.S.,
  >> the voters haven't chosen IRV. In Australia they adopted
  >> IRV at a time when Condorcet was computationally
  >> infeasible and Approval was unknown. So what?

You respond to many small pieces in similar fashion.  The
strategy is to do what someone has called something like
"quoting out of context".  Like I have said before, I choose
not to be drawn into such shennanigans.