Tyranny of the Majority

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Thu May 10 12:37:33 PDT 2001

Thanks to Bart for this interesting tidbit.

Now suppose that we put aside our preconceptions and ask, "Under what
conditions would it be appropriate for fifty percent plus one of an
organized group to impose decisions binding upon the whole?"

Are there such conditions? Undoubtedly yes.

Are there also conditions in which it would be inappropriate?

If you cannot think of any, then you are sorely lacking in imagination and
experience.

Forest

[snip]