Tyranny of the Majority

Anthony Simmons asimmons at krl.org
Wed May 9 22:53:26 PDT 2001

>> From: DEMOREP1 at aol.com
>> Subject: Re: Tyranny of the Majority

>> Mr. Simmons wrote-

>> But that is neither here nor there, as we shall see when you
>> post the other definitions and the etymology for "democracy".
>> ---
>> D- I will let Mr. Simmons do such work and post the
>> results.  I have too much to do to wipe out the existing
>> minority rule legislative body gerrymander regimes (and
>> all the social- economic- political insanity that such
>> regimes have created).

I just thought it curious that you read through the first
two definitions, and then posted only the third.  Perhaps you
could tell us what the first definition was?

Perhaps I will look it up, though I'm generally not fond of
quoting dictionaries.  After all, dictionaries, because they
only report how we use the words, are less of an authority
than we English speakers are.

>> One so-called modern notion is to have multiple
>> definitions for the same word (leading to total confusion
>> --- especially regarding the math of election methods).
>> See the book 1984.  War = Peace, Good = Bad, etc.

It's a modern notion for words to have more than one
meaning??  That's the way it has always been.  (Note that I
say "meaning" rather than "definition" because the meaning is
the more basic entity -- the definition is derived from the
meaning, and is only a convenience for those who do not
already know the meaning.)

>> Who wrote the first dictionary (especially for *political/
>> election* words and phrases) ???

I have no idea.  Why do you ask?