[EM] Re: Tyranny of the Majority

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Wed May 9 16:05:19 PDT 2001

This is a very interesting idea.

A couple of thoughts:

Suppose that f and g were the same. Then each voter could be asked to
compare each candidate to herself. This could be very appropriate in
a representative democracy where the representatives are supposed to serve
as proxies for the citizens that they represent.

The ballot could be worded as follows: Check the YES box next to each
candidate that you believe would do a better job in the position to which
they aspire than you yourself would if you had the appropriate technical
competency and stomach for that kind of work.

>From this vantage point it is clear that your hypothetical standard of
comparison method is strategically equivalent to ordinary Approval in the
case where f = g , the most democratic case.

Also, don't just use normal and uniform distributions. Politics isn't very
interesting until you get into bimodal (and better) distributions. Any
simple minded method will do OK with a single peaked symmetrical
distribution, though some will do better than others.

Forest