Tyranny of the Majority

Anthony Simmons asimmons at krl.org
Tue May 8 23:59:17 PDT 2001

>> From: DEMOREP1 at aol.com
>> Subject: [EM] Re: Tyranny of the Majority

>> Mr. Simmons wrote-

>> Don't you think it's a bit strange to be complaining about
>> how I'm attacking democracy???  Perhaps you're equating
>> majority rule and democracy?  They're not the same thing, you
>> know.

>> ---
>> D- From my friendly Webster's Dictionary-

>> de-moc-ra-cy
>> 3. majority rule

>> ma-jor-i-ty
>> 1. the greater part or larger number; more than half of a total.

>> (Each word has some other definitions).

Hm, I don't suppose you could explain why you chose to pass
along only definition # 3 for "democracy"?

Here's an idea:  Show us the first ten definitions or so.
And the etymology.  Then you will be in a better position to
support your claim that the very meaning of "democracy"
precludes anything but majority rule.

We await ...

>> The good old Oxford Dictionary of the English Language
>> lists the earliest mention of words and phrases

>> I suppose that in this so-called New Age of Politics (of
>> Ignorance and Redefinitions) that different folks have
>> different dictionaries.

Perhaps this is a good time to explain something about
dictionaries.  The definitions are not rules to be followed
by speakers of the language.  They are descriptions of how
the words are used by the speakers.  As my mother used to say
(as a linguist), definitions are descriptive, not
prescriptive.

The point of all of that is that since the language is
constantly changing -- and that is hardly a new thing -- why
do you suppose we are not speaking Middle English? -- then of
course newer editions of dictionaries will reflect the
changes.

But that is neither here nor there, as we shall see when you
post the other definitions and the etymology for "democracy".