[EM] Re: democratic aggregation of utility

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Sat May 5 11:43:10 PDT 2001

Mr. A. Simmons wrote-

I wonder if it's really possible to add utilities
meaningfully.  The example you give, of a living wage,
doesn't seem to be amenable to such a thing.  What would we
actually measure in order to assign real numbers to physical
examples?  Stick electrodes in people's brains?  Personally,
I think the real-space model that is so ubiquitous in the
social sciences (e.g. factor analysis) is more of a metaphor.

----
D- For newer folks, I again have to mention that each elector is supposed to
have an equal vote.

For legislative body elections, most election reform folks want some sort of
proportional representation method (to show that such legislative body is
supposed to be a substitute of a meeting of ALL such electors -- in which
each elector would have 1 vote on each bill in the body --- regardless of
his/her intensity about any particular bill).

For executive and judicial office elections the same principle applies -- an
*equal* vote per elector --- regardless of his/her intensity about any
particular candidate.