[EM] Fwd[ To Martin on bad consequences ]

Martin Harper mcnh2 at cam.ac.uk
Wed May 2 01:15:29 PDT 2001

Martin Harper wrote:

> Example of consequence two:
>
> A,B,C,D, in that order on the ballot paper.
>
> Sincere Votes and votes under margins:
> 10 B>A=C=D
> 10 C>A=B=D
> 10 D>A=B=C
>
> Actual Votes under wv:
> 10 B>A>C>D OR B>A>D>C OR B>A(>C=D)
> 10 C>A>B>D OR etc
> 10 D>A>B>C OR etc
>
> Result: A is the wv condorcet winner, despite being hated by everyone.
> Margins would give a draw to B,C,D.
>
> Hence, winning-votes fails my newly invented Universally Despised
> Candidate Criterion, which makes it even worse than IRV's failure of
> Mike's Universally Unprefferred Candidate Criterion. Here A is hated,
> and hated by *everyone*, yet still gets elected.
>
> Mike Comments: A is so much hated by everyone that they all consider him
> a 2nd choice and rank him alone in 2nd place [:-)]
>
> In a real election, B,C, or D voters would estimate which of those
> is the biggest rival, and try to him lose to the other 2 of {B,C,D}.
> No, I haven't checked that out, because this example has just now
> been posted, but at first glance it seems likely. That removes that
> candidate from the tie, and improves your chance of your favorite
> winning in the tie.
>
> "Hated by _everyone_", who consider A a sincere 2nd choice, and
> rank A alone in 2nd place  [:-)]

They all sincerely rate him second, yes - second and last. In case
anyone has for gotten, I'm a utility person: A has a sincere utility of
zero for all voters. And I note that the example doesn't have to be
0-info to work, either.

Thay all rank A alone in second place in their actual votes. Yes: that's
because their randomisers are rubbish - approximately 2% random. A was
at the top of the ballot paper, so must people did the randomisation by
doing top-middle-bottom or top-bottom-middle.