[EM] Condorcet cyclic drop rule

Richard Moore rmoore4 at home.com
Thu Mar 29 23:15:20 PST 2001

MIKE OSSIPOFF wrote:

> Every voting system
> punishes truncation, except for Plurality, which has no truncation,
> because you're only allowed to vote for 1. But even with Plurality
> you can regret not helping a needed compromise.

Does every system punish truncation? I think it would depend on how
the truncated votes are counted. For example, in Borda, if you allow
truncation, and count the unranked candidates as zero, and give the
ranked candidates the same counts they would get if the vote were
not truncated, then truncation is not punished. I get a better
expectation by truncating my vote after the lowest candidate with
positive strategic value.  In fact, truncated Borda under these rules
would be very similar to Approval. With 5 candidates, I could vote
A=4, B=3, and then C, D, and E all at zero. The impact of this vote
would only be slightly different from voting AB in an Approval
election.

A truncated Borda system in which the above votes are counted
as A=2, B=1, and C=D=E=0, however, does punish turncation.

Richard