[EM] One vote per voter

Tony Simmons asimmons at krl.org
Tue Mar 27 22:15:32 PST 2001

>> From: Forest Simmons
>> Subject: Re: [EM] One vote per voter

>> If I'm not mistaken, the slogan "one man, one
>> vote" reached its pinnacle in the context of
>> reapportionment. Up until the Baker vs ( ? )
>> decision of the Supreme Court some urban
>> congressional districts had populations
>> several times larger than some of the rural
>> districts. (Someone on this EM list should
>> know the details.)

>> Anyway, in that context the slogan meant the
>> right to proportional representation, as much
>> as the right for each eligible citizen to
>> submit a ballot.

>> Forest

Forest,

This is, as far as I know, the real meaning of
"one man, one vote".  The description I gave
wasn't too historically precise, though it seemed
to be the appropriate interpretation for the
situation at hand.

Which reminds me of something someone just now
told me (for no apparent reason) she had read in
a novel about a ruler whose explanation of one-
man-one-vote was "I'm The Man, so I get the
vote."  (I forgot to tell her that her version
is, in fact, the one system not subject to
paradoxes.)  Actually a propos in a sense, since
it shows once again that mere semantics is not a
good guide to empirical fact.