[EM] Condorcet cyclic drop rule

Tom Ruen tomruen at itascacg.com
Tue Mar 27 21:28:38 PST 2001

Okay, I understand the dropping rule: We look at how many voters supported
each victory, and eliminate the smallest victory of a cycle.

Let me repeat my examples:

#1 Example ballots: AC=5, BA=4, CB=3

 Pair elections:
A:B=5:7   B/A (7) - weakest
B:C=4:8   C/B (8)
A:C=9:3   A/C (9)

 Dropping B/A counteracts only 7 voters' preference, compared with 8 or 9.
The result is A>C>B, and A wins.

 However if some "A" voters bullet vote:
#2 Example ballots: AC=3, A=2, BA=4, CB=3

 Pair elections: