[EM] One vote per voter

Tom Ruen tomruen at itascacg.com
Fri Mar 23 15:17:25 PST 2001

Anthony,

I appreciate your defense for approval. I'm not surrendering full-vote
Approval as a good concept. I agree with your defense for one vote per
candidate in approval.

Plurality and approval are different systems and I don't think you can ever
judge that one is right and the other wrong. They are simply different.

Full vote Approval doesn't help with Proportional Representation. Single or
fixed vote systems like STV and Cumulative Vote allow Proportional
Representation in multiseat elections. However Approval with split votes can
be used in this way.

Actually, I am seeing right now that split-vote-Approval is really a
simplified Cumulative vote, except voters can only split their vote in equal
proportions. Actually I recently analyzed the board election ballots for the
business I work for and I'd guess 90% of voters split their votes
(stock-holdings) in equal proportions among their favorites. This suggests
that split-vote-approval voting can do very well as a practical method for
multiseat elections.

Looking at votes/voter, in the most general one vote/election analysis,
there are 2^N-1 interesting subelections votable with N candidates:
Plurality takes one election with all candidates. [1 election]
Runoffs take a progression of subset elections. [N-1 subelections]
Approval takes all subelections with one candidate. [N subelections]
Condorcet takes all subelections with exactly two candidates. [N*(N-1)/2
subelections]

These are all "one vote per voter per election" systems. The tricky part is
how to combine subelection results to pick a winner. Only Plurality is
really, one-person, one vote.

I'm leaving town in a couple hours but I hope for some more opinions from EM
when I return on Monday.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Tom