Bad Condorcet winners?

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 21 18:58:49 PST 2001

>Who wants to elect the extremists (with their alleged *mandates*) ???
>
>Who wants to elect some *dull* median SU and/or *bad* Condorcet compromise
>candidates ???

If you don't want extreme candidates, and you don't want median
candidates, then what do you want? What's that? You want the Presidential
elecion to elect no one because no one got majority support?

But you're the one who's most worried about civil war and breakdown
of democracy. Aren't you worried that, in a society already on edge
due to adverse conditions, a power vacuum could have a bad effect?

I've thoroughly answered the "bad CW" argument. There's no reason
why only a despised candidate will run at the voter median. But what
if the only voter median candidate is corrupt, and is elected by
Condorcet? In other words, what if someone corrupt wins? Now how's that
for a new eventuality that's never been encountered in our electoral
system? :-)

I repeat, then, that average SU is more important than worst-case
SU unless you can convincingly argue that something extraordinarily
irreversable & bad will happen due to the election of a disliked
median candidate.

Mike Ossipoff