[EM] Month Approval election results

Tom Ruen tomruen at itascacg.com
Sun Mar 18 22:17:32 PST 2001

Thanks for your comments, Bart! Here's a reply to part.

Bart wrote:
> This was an interesting demonstration, although I don't agree that the
> closeness between May and September was the fault of approval voting.
> Even among those who did express a preference for one or the other,
> there was only a 2 percentage-point difference.
>
> Among the rest of the voters, there is no particular reason to expect
> them to break one way or the other on May vs. September -- if you were
> to hold a runoff between them, the voters may, for lack of a real
> preference, base their decision on something like alphabetical or
> numeric order, or position on the ballot.

I'm betting there is real preference among the 75% that voted for neither or
both.

Bart wrote:
> I don't understand this -- although I recall you stating a belief that
> the best approval strategy is to bullet vote.  Is it that you suspect
> that voters who don't bullet vote don't really know what they are doing?

I believe voters who supported more than one candidate would like a chance
to decide between a set of choices they like the most of a set of strong
choices in the end. I believe voters who supported none of the strong
candidates also have an interest in deciding which they like better.

Given a problem, I might brain storm choices with no evaluation. Then I'll
cross out the ones I really don't like. Then I might offer a list of choices
I like to others who are involved and see their preferences. Then I'll
probably cut more choices off and continue until I decide on one single
choice. This is how I see an approval runoff working.

It's true, it might be unreasonable to demand 50% or 90% of voters must make
a single decision, but I expect most will be interested in this in the end.
Some will eliminate their favorites and support a stronger compromise. Some
will eliminate their compromises and be satisfied with standing behind a
favorite even one that can't win. This is a choice of voters.

Another approach to ending a runoff might be to have a special vote like
"DONE" which means they are not interested in refining and compromising any
more. A runoff could end when 90% or whatever fraction vote "DONE".

> The presence of a runoff election would tend to negate approval's
> inherent ability to reject low-utility candidates, even without forced
> elimination.

I'm not sure what this means.

> A suggestion for future elections might be to solicit a rating (on a
> scale of 0..10 or so) along with the actual votes.  Then you could see
> how well a method does at choosing the overall highest-rated candidate.
> You could also use the ratings to derive approval or ranked votes using
> various strategies.

I like the idea of keeping ballots simple and holding runoffs.

Specifically, I'm imagining an election with live people deciding a winner,
like political party endorsement.

I want something that is easy to count and gives voters the chance to refine
their preferences in a runoff process.

Tom