[EM] Bad Condorcet winners?

Tom Ruen tomruen at itascacg.com
Sun Mar 18 04:32:56 PST 2001

Mike, there are 2 ways to look at this. I chose the first, and you the
second...

The question we're considering is "Which is simpler for voters to rank - IRV
or Condorcet?"

1. IRV is less demanding because it never uses lower rankings on a ballot
until all higher candidates are eliminated. Therefore voters don't have to
think very hard about lower choices. However when an election is a close
3-way contest, there is the dilemma on whether to compromise first to be
safe against a strong scary candidate.

2. Condorcet is less demanding because voters never need to vote insincerely
to get what they want. There is no spoiler candidate. Condorcet gives
majority rule power in all dimensions. However this added power of ranks
means voters must consider more.

What I am concerned about is whether in the end voters really WANT what they
GET out of Condorcet.

I'm NOT worried about telling the person who is already offering a
compromise vote (in Plurality) because they're afraid their favorite can't
win. Those are the voters that will most benefit from approval or rankings.

I am worried that people who already are happy with a favorite in plurality
who may somewhat thoughtlessly vote for a compromise in Condorcet simply for
being a compromise.

If a voter looks at an election and sees 3 choices - Favorite, Compromise,
and Opposite, I don't want voters to quickly rank "1.F 2.C 3.O" blindly
because it seems "logical". I want voters to say, "After my favorite, who do
I really think will make a better leader - Compromise or Opposite?" If,
after serious thought, the voter says, "Yes, I would certainly rather have
Compromise over Opposite", then I'm fully content.

However I expect in some cases voters will vote Opposite over Compromise.
And I expect some voters to say "If this is my choice, I support neither."
And that is a choice too and it means don't rank either!

This is a new responsibility voters have never had to consider before. For
those that don't choose to think in detail about all those choices, my claim
is they (and we all) are better off if they don't rank below their favorite
or favorites.

My concern is that compromise candidates are the ones who have the most to
gain by such negligent voting. The example: AC=49, BC=48, CB=3. This is an
extreme example, but it forms the basis of my analysis. I'm willing to
accept victory for a weakly-top-ranked candidate like C ASSUMING voters were
thoughtful and want this compromise.

This is the entire basis of my concern. Bullet voting has a certain degree
of power and voters are used to that. Voters who want more power can take it
in Condorcet. I just want this power used wisely.

I am being protective of voters. I would rather they be conservative. If
asked between two undesirable choices, sometimes it is better to just not
answer if you're unsure. If they would not compromise in Plurality, no clear
need to start in Condorcet.

That's my approach and that's my defense for Condorcet. Condorcet gives new
power (more power than IRV), but doesn't require people take that power.
That's good!

Tom Ruen