[EM] Condorcet, Same Ranks, Ties

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 17 19:02:03 PST 2001

>How about a method which elects the pairwise comparison winner only
>if there are no ties in the tally, and electing the Borda Count
>winner otherwise? This would eliminate some cycles from PW
>comparisons, which are the source of the inordinate amont of tied PW
>outcomes.

But a few pairwise ties won't always render Cloneproof SSD, or other
Condorcet versions indecisive. Just use Borda or Plurality only if
Condorcet actually returns more than 1 winner. Use one of those
methods to choose among those winners. I agree with that kind of
tiebreaking for your proposal to the Greens, because it's likely to
be better-received than Random Ballot. Again, if they adopt Condorcet,
then the clone criterion can be brought up later, and Random Ballot
or Chairman Ballot proposed at that time.

Mike Ossipoff