[EM] Markus's '98 Cloneproof SSD wording

Markus Schulze schulze at sol.physik.tu-berlin.de
Sat Mar 17 09:51:49 PST 2001

Dear Mike,

you wrote (16 Mar 2001):
> I checked message #2291, and I noticed that its way of dealing with
> ties isn't what I'd believed. I must have misread it the 1st time.
>
> I thought that you'd said:
>
> If there are more than 1 winner, then eliminate the other candidates
> and repeat the count, from the start, with just those winners.
>
> Repeat till this doesn't reduce the set of winners. At that time
> pick the final winner by Random Ballot.
>
> That's what I thought it was, and that's what I've been telling people
> all this time.
>
> So what I've been advocating isn't the same as what you said. Would
> the procedure that I describe above cause a problem, such as
> nonmonotocity, or some other fault? If not, it's more decisive,
> since it doesn't resort to Random Ballot till re-application of the
> count rule among its ties no longer reduces the winner-set.
>
> My main question here is whether that procedure that I describe above
> has a fault.

Blake Cretney demonstrated in his 3 Nov 1998 mail that
monotonicity is violated when one simply re-applies this algorithm
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/election-methods-list/message/1955).

Example 1:

   3 voters vote A > B > C > D.
   2 voters vote D > A > B > C.
   2 voters vote D > B > C > A.
   2 voters vote C > B > D > A.

   The pairwise matrix looks as follows:

   A:B=5:4
   A:C=5:4
   A:D=3:6
   B:C=7:2
   B:D=5:4
   C:D=5:4

   B and D are SSD winners. When SSD is re-applied among candidate B
   and candidate D, then candidate B wins decisively.

Example 2:

   One voter changes from D > A > B > C to  A > D > B > C

   3 voters vote  A > B > C > D.
   1 voter  votes D > A > B > C.
   1 voter  votes A > D > B > C.