Bad Condorcet winners?

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Thu Mar 15 14:46:02 PST 2001

Mr. Layton wrote --

A Bad Condorcet winner is a low utility Condorcet winner.  For those who see

the primary purpose of election methods to elect the highest utility

candidate, and see voters as rational utility maximisers, this is a

crucially important flaw.
---
D- I repeat my elementary example using the plus 100 to minus 100 utility
scale--

2 A (    1)     B  (-100)
1 B (100)      A (-100)

Guess who wins regardless of his/her *low* utility.

It is not *average* utilities that are important.

The above can be expanded to an extreme Hitler/Washington/ Stalin Condorcet
example ---

49 H (100) W (   1)    S (-100)
1 W   (   1)  H (-99)   S (-100)
49 S (100) W (    1)   H (-100)