[EM] Bad Condorcet winners?

Tom Ruen tomruen at itascacg.com
Wed Mar 14 23:40:20 PST 2001

> Votes             Candidate (rating)
> -----     ---------------------------------
>  49%       A(10)                 B(1)  C(0)
>   3%       B(10)  A(9)                 C(0)
>  48%       C(10)                 B(1)  A(0)

This shows an example where Condorcet demands more care from voters in lower
rankings.
Voters for A and C should simply bullet vote if they hate the centrist.
They can also consider between the centrist and the opposite party which
they prefer if their candidate can't win.
Many voters might choose the opposite party if they were being thoughtful.

In Condorcet, this should be: A=49, C=48, BA=3.
Then A is Condorcet candidate.

If they're really worried about B: AC=49, CA=48, BA=3.
This more powerfully resists the centrist.

Tom