[EM] Comments--few voters, 0-info

Tom Ruen tomruen at itascacg.com
Tue Mar 13 17:51:11 PST 2001

Mike,

I can't say I follow much of this. I don't know what above-mean strategy is
exactly.

My purpose in having runoffs is to encourage voters to offer as many
approvals as they can. I'm not convinced my only holding a runoff if more
than one candidate exceeds 50%, since it can still reward a compromise
candidate accidentally, even if a majority would prefer another.

If we can have many rounds, I see two forced elimination approaches:
1. Eliminate half (rounded down) candidates each round. Log2(N) rounds.
2. Eliminate 1 candidate each round.

These two methods are the same for 3 or less candidates. I tend to think the
first form is enough since candidates are not really competing directly for
votes.

Thinking about strategy, imagine there are 3 candidates, one will be
eliminated. A and B can be opposites and balanced support, and C is a fair
but weak centrist.

If I support A and I see A and B are pretty equal, I realize that if B gets
eliminated, then C will win as a compromise. Therefore I should bullet vote
for A at this point to give my candidate a fair chance against the opposite
candidate. B supporters will think the same way, if it looks balanced.
Therefore such a 3-way race will likely be a bullet vote for all candidates,
and with luck the compromise candidate will be eliminated without core
support, and the final will be between the poles A and B.

If either side believes it is in a clear minority, then they will offer the
centrist compromise, and probably the minority pole will be eliminated and
the centrist will win.

Overall near the end, the strategy is:
1. Vote your favorite.
2. Vote your compromise also if you are worried your favorite can't win.

There is a simplest degeneracy if you're really afraid - to bullet vote for
your compromise. This might happen if you think your favorite will defeat
your compromise but still lose.

Any election method that depends on elimination has a potential spoiler
effect where a favorite helps eliminate a compromise so both lose. This
isn't necessarily bad since it means voters have to decide what they want
and take the risk as they choose.

Well, the simple truth is that approval gives voters more power than
single-votes and with power comes risk of not getting what you want.
Approval is more work for voters than single votes.

Tom Ruen