[EM] Repeated Balloting

Steve Barney BARNES99 at vaxa.cis.uwosh.edu
Mon Mar 12 14:55:50 PST 2001

Donald Davison's "Repeating Ballots Standard" is anything but
original. It has long been recommended by "Robert's Rules of Order"
(see "Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised," 10th ed, 2000, Section
45, <http://www.robertsrules.com/>). The section regarding
preferential voting vs repeated balloting is included, below.

Since Robert's Rules recommends it, repeated balloting likely is very
commonly used. I think the US Congress uses it in some cases. For
example, I think it was used when no US Presidential candidate won a
majority of electoral college votes. I seem to recall that the
balloting was repeated over 30 times, in one case (I heard this on
NPR during the indecision 2000 fiaso.) I imagine that those votes are
available in the federal election records.

--

Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised
Excerpt from §45.  10th edition, 2000

§45                    VOTING PROCEDURE                    411

	Preferential Voting. The term preferential voting refers to
any of a number of voting methods by which, on a single ballot when
there are more than two possible choices, the second or
less-preferred choices of voters can be taken into [20] account if no
candidate or proposition attains a majority. While it is more
complicated than other methods of voting in common use and is not a
substitute for the normal procedure of repeated balloting until a
majority is obtained, preferential voting is especially useful and
fair in an election [25] by mail if it is impractical to take more
than one ballot. In such cases it makes possible a more
representative result than under a rule that a plurality shall elect.
It can be used only if expressly authorized in the bylaws.
	Preferential voting has many variations. One method is [30]
described here by way of illustration. On the preferential
ballot--for each office to be filled or multiple-choice question to
be decided--the voter is asked to indicate the order in which he
prefers all the candidates or propositions, placing the numeral I
beside his first preference, the numeral 2 [35]

412                    RULES OF ORDER                    §45

[1] beside his second preference, and so on for every possible
choice.  In counting the votes for a given office or question, the
ballots are arranged in. piles according to the indicated first
preferences--one pile for each candidate or proposition. [5]  The
number of ballots in each pile is then recorded for the tellers'
report.  These piles remain identified with the names of the same
candidates or propositions throughout the counting procedure until
all but one are eliminated as described below.  If more than half of
the ballots show one [10] candidate or proposition indicated as first
choice, that choice has a majority in the ordinary sense and the
candidate is elected or the proposition is decided upon.  But if
there is no such majority, candidates or propositions are eliminated
one by one, beginning with the least popular, [15]until one prevails,
as follows: The ballots in the thinnest pile--that is, those
containing the name designated as first choice by the fewest number
of voters--are redistributed into the other piles according to the
names marked as second choice on these ballots.  The number of
ballots in each [20] remaining pile after this distribution is again
recorded.  If more than half of the ballots are now in one pile, that
candidate or proposition is elected or decided upon.  If not, the
next least popular candidate or proposition is similarly eliminated,
by taking the thinnest remaining pile and redistributing [25] its
ballots according to their second choices into the other piles,
except that, if the name eliminated in the last distribution is
indicated as second choice on a ballot, that ballot is placed
according to its third choice.  Again the number of ballots in each
existing pile is recorded, and, if [30] necessary, the process is
repeated--by redistributing each time the ballots in the thinnest
remaining pile, according to the marked second choice or
most-preferred choice among those not yet eliminated--until one pile
contains more than half of the ballots, the result being thereby
determined.  The [35] tellers' report consists of a table listing all
candidates or

§45                    VOTING PROCEDURE                    413

propositions, with the number of ballots that were in each [1] pile
after each successive distribution.
	If a ballot having one or more names not marked with any
numeral comes up for placement at any stage of the counting and all
of its marked names have been eliminated, [5] it should not be placed
in any pile, but should be set aside.  If at any point two or more
candidates or propositions are tied for the least popular position,
the ballots in their piles are redistributed in a single step, all of
the tied names being treated as eliminated. In the event of a tie in
the winning [10] position--which would imply that the elimination
process is continued until the ballots are reduced to two or more
equal piles--the election should be resolved in favor of the
candidate or proposition that was strongest in terms of first choices
(by referring to the record of the first distribution). [15]
	If more than one person is to be elected to the same type of
office--for example, if three members of a board are to be
chosen--the voters can indicate their order of preference among the
names in a single fist of candidates, just as [20]
if only one was to be elected. The counting procedure is the same as
described above, except that it is continued until all but the
necessary number of candidates have been eliminated (that is, in the
example, all but three).
	When this or any other system of preferential voting is [25]
to be used, the voting and counting procedure must be precisely
established in advance and should be prescribed in detail in the
bylaws of the organization. The members must be thoroughly instructed
as to how to mark the ballot, and should have sufficient
understanding of the counting [30] process to enable them to have
confidence in the method. Sometimes, for instance, voters decline to
indicate a second or other choice, mistakenly believing that such a
course increases the chances of their first choice. In fact, it may
prevent any candidate from receiving a majority and require [35]

414                    RULES OF ORDER                    §45

[1] the voting to be repeated.  The persons selected as tellers must
perform their work with particular care.
	The system of preferential voting just described should not
be used in cases where it is possible to follow the normal [5]
procedure of repeated balloting until one candidate or proposition
attains a majority.  Although this type of preferential ballot is
preferable to an election by plurality, it affords less freedom of
choice than repeated balloting, because it denies voters the
opportunity of basing their second [10] or lesser choices on the
results of earlier ballots, and because the ' candidate or
proposition in last place is automatically eliminated and may thus be
prevented from becoming a compromise choice.

--end