[EM] Scale Votes

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Wed Mar 7 23:39:46 PST 2001

In CR all of the voters get to rate all of the candidates. In your example
only two voters rated A, and only one voter rated B, so we cannot tell if
there was a winner or not. (This reflects a common misconception about the
validity of CR.)

---
D- The default vote is obviously minus 100.

> Votes   Percent Scale
>
> 2 A       (1)          B (-100)
> 1 B       (100)       A (-100)

3 Voters

Same result.

Same sort of default vote in various other methods ---

Plurality --- vote for = 100 (for counting votes -- but obviously not the
case in reality due to the lesser of evils problem)
                   all others minus 100

Simple Approval --- vote for = 100
                               all others minus 100

Condorcet --- vote for -- Number rank given ( 1, 2, etc)
                       all others = last rank possible.

As usual I note that it is possible to use scale votes but some elementary
education is necessary.

For marginally illiterate voters, there are problems with *any* *complex*
method. (taking note of the still recent Florida election for President--
problems with voting by circa 2 percent of the voters using the now infamous
(and dead) butterfly ballot form and punchcard ballots (with their chad
types- hanging, swinging, pregnant, with holes).