[EM] Layton Craig is sorry:

David Catchpole s349436 at student.uq.edu.au
Mon Mar 5 13:05:49 PST 2001

Both yield equal proportionality - Droop yields the better degree of
_fairness_ and strategy-proofness because Droop is the natural quota even
given a Hare quota. In a Hare quota election, aggregations of candidates
should strive for a Droop quota for each of their members if they know
what's good for them. A candidate with a Droop quota in such an election
will win. Any more votes are wasted.

Perhaps the key difference in "proportionality" between a Hare election
and a Droop election is who gets elected last. In Hare, it's whoever makes what
I call the "arsend" quota of 1/2n. In Droop, it's someone just the same as
everyone else elected, with a Droop quota. A Droop election "wastes"
1/(n+1) of the vote. A Hare election wastes (n-1)((1/n)-(1/n+1))+1/2n ...
big!

There have been previous discussions on the issue and some of them might
be very enlightening.