[EM] Any method can punish truncation

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 30 15:52:38 PST 2001

>MIKE OSSIPOFF wrote:
>
> > Every voting system
> > punishes truncation, except for Plurality, which has no truncation,
> > because you're only allowed to vote for 1. But even with Plurality
> > you can regret not helping a needed compromise.
>
>Does every system punish truncation? I think it would depend on how
>the truncated votes are counted. For example, in Borda, if you allow
>truncation, and count the unranked candidates as zero, and give the
>ranked candidates the same counts they would get if the vote were
>not truncated, then truncation is not punished. I get a better
>expectation by truncating my vote after the lowest candidate with
>positive strategic value.

...and if you truncate higher then you lower your expectation. That
truncation is punished by Borda. With any method, you worsen your outcome if
you don't support a needed compromise.

I didn't mean that with every method all truncation is punished.
I meant that, with any method, you'll often regret truncation.

Mike Ossipoff