[EM] Correction about Ranked Pairs(margins)

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 28 23:19:46 PST 2001

It's true that Condorcet's method, including Cloneproof SSD, allows
voters to thwart offensive order-reversal via defensive truncation.
But that _isn't_ true of Ranked Pairs(margins), or any margins method.

When Mr. Condorcet made his proposals, he specified that defeats be
measured by defeat-support. And that's the only defeat measure that
confers compliance with the defensive strategy criteria.

Ranked-Pairs(defeat-support) is something that Condorcet proposed,
and it meets all 4 of the majority defensive strategy criteria,
as does Cloneproof SSD.

In my previous message, I said that I wouldn't object if someone
else wants to do the Cloneproof SSD & Ranked Pairs(margins) counts,
before I post my results late tomorrow or tomorrow night (California
time). I should add that BeatpathWinner and Cloneproof SSD always give
the same outcome, and so if someone wanted to do the count, they
could use BeatpathWinner instead of Cloneproof SSD for the implementation of
the Cloneproof SSD count.

Mike Ossipoff