[EM] Condorcet cyclic drop rule

Tom Ruen tomruen at itascacg.com
Tue Mar 27 14:23:21 PST 2001

I've been curious about the Condorcet drop rule with cycles. Previously I've
just computed a pair win table but not implemented rules to handle cycles.

At: http://russp.org/ElectionMethods.org/CondorcetEx.htm
****
* Plain Condorcet (PC)
* The Plain Condorcet method of ambiguity resolution is the
* simplest method: drop the weakest (smallest magnitude)
* defeat, repeating if necessary until one of the candidates
* is unbeaten.
****

It seems like there are two ways to define weakest defeat:
1. The defeat with the smallest difference.
2. The defeat with the smallest ratio (closest to one).

Example ballots: AC=5, BA=4, CB=3

Pair elections: