[EM] Clarification

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 19 22:52:18 PST 2001

I want to clarify that the ballots will be counted by all of the
designated methods. For a method that uses a balloting that some
particular voter didn't vote, such a ballot will be inferred from
his ballot, in the ways that I described some days ago. This doesn't
violate a voter's rights, since that inferred ballot is merely for
the use of other voters, for the purpose of guiding the placement
of their Approval cutoff point, for the placement of their Approval
votes for the final count.

And I emphasize that that final Approval count, and the Approval votes
that Voter's Choice places in that count, are distinct from the
Approval ballot and the Approval count based on that ballot.

The Approval balloting is just one of the 3 ballotings, and Approval
is just one of several methods that could be designated by voters
for placing their final automatic Approval votes. The other value
and use for the Approval balloting & its outcome, as for the other
designated methods, is to demonstrate how the different methods
choose, and to demonstrate what it's like to use the various methods.

But, as I said earlier, you can specify on your ballot that you
want your _final_ Approval votes to be placed by your Approval ballot
instead of automatically by a designated method. If that's what you want to
do, then write "manual" as your answer to the question
"What method do you designate for determing your Approval votes for
the Voter's Choice count?"

Mike Ossipoff