[EM] Ballot for poll on poll topics

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 19 22:17:09 PST 2001

Below is the ballot for the poll on the topic for a subsequent poll.
If any method being used returns more than one winner, that tie will
be solved by Random Ballot. The ballot will be chosen by the
alphabetical order of the last names of the ballots' voters. In other
words, the tiebreaking ballot will be the one voted by the voter whose
last name is earliest in the alphabet, according the the usual rule
of going by 1st letter first, and then, if 2 names have the same 1st
letter, then using the 2nd letter.

For that purpose, in the event of disagreement among that ballot's
ranking, CR, and Approval votes, the ranking will be considered first,
and if there isn't one, its CR will be used, and if there's neither
of those, its Approval vote will be used.

If the 1st tiebreaking ballot so chosen still leaves a tie, by not
distinguishing between 2 or more members of the tie, then the next
earliest-alphabetized last name's ballot will be used, etc.

That might not really sound _random_, but randomizing devices are
awkward via e-mail. This procedure is random enough, and avoids clone
problems and the arbitrariness of Chairman Ballot, and the time-consuming
difficulty of using the New York Times as I'd described earlier, as a
randomizing device.

Let's say the balloting continues for a week (till the midnight that
ends March 26, California time), but if votes have arrived in the
24 hours previous to that time, then the balloting continues till
the end of the that begins after the end of the next 24 hour period
with no votes. (Again, the end of that day is the midnight that ends
that day in California).

Again, your Approval vote goes to the alternative chosen by your
designated method, and to every alternative which you've ranked higher
than that, (or rated higher, if you didn't vote a ranking).

I repeat that no need vote all 3 kinds of ballot. One kind of ballot
is sufficient. A voter may vote one, two, or all three kinds of ballots.
Rankings of course may be truncated. Un-rated alternatives will be
assumed to be rated zero. If you rate sincerely, use 10 or 100 for
your favorite, and rate the others in proportion to that. One's last
choice isn't necessarily zero.

Here's the ballot for that poll:

What method do you designate for determining your Approval votes, for
the Voter's Choice count?

[I hope these columns post ok. I've left 2 spaces in some of the brackets,
in case your computer isn't set for "insert"]

The first column is for the rank number that you assign. The 2nd
column is for your Approval vote. The 3rd column is for your rating
(which may be sincere or strategic):

r     a    r
a     p    a
n     p    t
k     r    e
[  ] [ ] [  ]Months
[  ] [ ] [  ] List Conduct Petition
[  ] [ ] [  ]Voting Systems
[  ] [ ] [  ]Pizza Toppings
[  ] [ ] [  ]Ice Cream Flavors
[  ] [ ] [  ]TV shows
[  ] [ ] [  ]Movies
[  ] [ ] [  ]Presidential Candidates of 2000.
[  ] [ ] [  ]Multiwinner systems
[  ] [ ] [  ]Restaurant menu selections
[  ] [ ] [  ]Minimum voting age
[  ] [ ] [  ]Historical figures to bring via time-machine
[  ] [ ] [  ]Nonpresidential Nicknames