[EM] Poll Topic Nominations

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 14 21:52:39 PST 2001

I suggest that Don's decree for a poll on Presidential candidates of
2000 should be taken as a nomination for the demonstration poll's topic.

Also, I'd like to suggest a few more. As much as I like the pizza topping
and ice cream flavor nominations, there's no pizza topping or ice cream
flavor that I don't like. There's no "greater evil".

But there are some really abominable TV shows & movies. And so I'd
like to add 2 more nominations: TV shows, and movies.

That makes 8 nominations so far:

A. Months
B. List Conduct Petition
C. Voting Systems
D. Pizza Toppings
E. Ice Cream Flavors
F. TV shows
G. Movies
H. Presidential Candidates of 2000.

Recent discussion brings out the desirability of doing a poll on
voting systems. I wouldn't know how to vote on months.

One thing--I've nominated a lot of topics. In Approval, if people
use an estimated 0-info strategy, that typically would mean voting
for more alternatives when the number of alternatives is increased,
meaning that there could be a chance that I've made there be an unfairly
large chance that one of my alternatives will win an Approval count.
Voting an Approval balloting, then, you might want to compensate for
that by not voting for a lot of my nominations.

Anyway, should we say that as soon as there've been no nominations for
24 hours, the nominations will be closed, and that it would then be
time to vote on the demonstration poll topic? Or should it be 48 hours?

By the way, I actually did once conduct a vote on movies. I was in
a group of 4 people who intended to go to a movie. We got a newspaper,
and some people mentioned a movie, and I write a short list including
those and a few other interesting ones. We voted by PC, with the idea
that Smith//PC would have been too time consuming (SSD & BeatpathWinner
weren't yet known to EM members at that time). Actually, Smith//PC
probably wouldn't have taken too long.

3 of the 4 voters had as their 1st choice _A Man & a Woman_, a movie
depicting how alcoholism affects a marriage. Sounds pretty dull.
Someone noticed that that movie was my last choice, and said that
since my 2nd choice was _The Mask_, and that was also nearly everyone's
2nd choice, that would be the right compromise. I said, "No, I insist
on majority rule".  We went to _A Man & a Woman_, and it was
_boring_!

Mike Ossipoff