[EM] The Demise of the Compromise Candidate:

I like Irving donald at mich.com
Mon Mar 12 01:23:42 PST 2001

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 03/12/01
Greetings,

Tom Ruen wrote:  "I'd still like an answer from you: Which do you prefer
with single rank ballots - Approval or Plurality? Both support runoff
methods."

Don:  Plurality is my answer, because Plurality will always elect the
majority candidate whenever there is a majority candidate.  Approval may
elect many of them, but not all of them.

Tom:  "For example, If you were in a room with 100 people and had to
collectively choose one of 10 choices (assuming no previous coalitions
formed - everyone is voting blind on their own intuition) and you had to
make a decision within 15 minutes, would you rather use approval-votes
runoffs or single votes in a runoff? A single majority candidate means the
same thing in both cases."

Don:  For your example of 100 people in a room I would like to use my
method called `Repeating Ballots'.
     It is a method that I regard as the standard for all election methods,
single and multi seat.  While I claim the method to be superior to all
other election methods, it is not acceptable to be used in most elections
because it requires a series of possible repeat elections and people do not
show up for later ballots.
     But, in your example of 100 persons `locked' in a room, my Repeating
Ballots method will work quite well.

Repeating Ballots Standard:  by Donald Davison

     1) This is a method in which there is the possibility of repeat
ballots, limited in number to the number of candidates on the first ballot.
     2) On each ballot, the voter only cast one vote, no other choices.
     3) Anytime there is a candidate with a majority of votes cast in the
current ballot, that candidate is the winner and the election is over,
otherwise the ballot is repeated.
     4) No candidate is eliminated, but a candidate may withdraw before the
next ballot.
     5) On the next ballot, voters may vote the same candidate, change
their vote, or not vote.
     6) If there is no majority winner before the last ballot, the leading
candidate of the last ballot is the winner.

     When this method is used in a real election in the real world, only
then will we really find out how much popularity this so called compromise
candidate has.  I feel he is overrated.
     I feel that what is being termed as a compromise candidate is nothing
more than a backup candidate.  In a 45A, 35B, 20C election, there are types
on the Election Methods list who claim that the A and B voters will rush to
vote for their `compromise' candidate C on the next ballot.
     I don't think so.  I say the method is going to show a lost of support
for candidate C and the demise of the compromise candidate myth.
     But, the proof of the pudding will be in using the Repeating Ballot
method in real elections.

     I encourge anyone who is a member of any organization to have your
organization use this method at your annual Election Dinner, and please,
let us know the results of each ballot.

Donald Dvison,