[EM] Condorcet vs unspecified point system

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 3 13:49:25 PST 2001

Joe's objection to Condorcet, which I've quoted below, is something that's
been much discussed here, on numerous occasions, since the
inception of the EM list. We should have made a FAQ about it at the
outset.

Yes Condorcet doesn't record how much more you like one candidate
than another. Yes, it's neglecting some information. Is that always
bad? Do we really want to use all the information available? For
instance, do we want to use the information about whether you'd
rather fully vote Favorite over Middle, or Middle over Worst (because
you can't do both)? Saying you want express and use that information
is like saying that you want to express & use the information about
whether you'd rather give your wallet to a mugger, or face the consequence
of refusing.

I suggest that it's better if you don't have to express the information
about whether you'd rather fully vote Favorite over Middle or Middle
over Worst--because you can do both.

You see, that "information" is about how you deal with the lesser-of-2-evils
dilemma. We don't want that dilemma. That's why we prefer rank
balloting. That's why we count it by pairwise-count. And that's why
we solve circular ties by Condorcet's method.

As we always reply when this issue comes up, as it always keeps doing,
in an ideal society, where everyone is completely honest and altruistic,
and everyone's only goal in voting is to sincerely express his/her ratings,
to help the system make the best decision about the greatest
good for the greatest number, the highest social utility--and where
no one is out to optimize the outcome for himself/herself--then sure,
Cardinal Ratings would be the best voting system. We don't live in that
society. Cardinal Ratings would work fine in our actual society, but
it wouldn't work as Joe would like--it wouldn't measure people's sincere
quantitative preferences. Joe is right to like Cardinal Ratings, but
it's for an incorrect reason.

Yes I know, other point systems have been proposed that would moderate
the strategy of Cardinal Ratings in some way. But none of them
can claim the criteria compliances that Condorcet has. And some of them
even lose those that Cardinal Ratings can claim.

That being said, of course I don't object to Cardinal Ratings, because
Cardinal ratings is strategically equivalent to Approval. Approval,
in fact, meets a criterion that Condorcet doesn't strictly meet: FBC.
Under no circumstances could anyone ever have incentive to vote someone
over their favorite. Condorcet's violation of FBC isn't common or
important or blatant, it seems to me.

But because Approval is an excellent method, so is Cardinal Ratings.
But it certainly isn't true that we want Cardinal Ratings because it
measures all of our preferences quantitatively. We only want it because
it's like Approval.