[EM] Completion methods for Smith Sets

LAYTON Craig Craig.LAYTON at add.nsw.gov.au
Mon Jun 18 00:07:22 PDT 2001

Michael wrote:

>I've e-mailed a second
>description, including adding an inverse method (find the worst candidate
>and drop it) and a combined method (find the worst candidate two different
>ways, tie-break discrepancies, drop the worst one, then repeat). Feel free
>to rewrite my description there, especially to clarify it :-)

Thanks.  It's very clear.  The combined method might have some good
properties, although it would need a strong argument to convince people it's
better than some other Condorcet complaint methods.  It's big advantage is
that it's a good alternative/compromise.  In explaination, it sounds like an
IRV variation, so it might appeal to the "some preferences are more equal
than others" crowd, while having most of the positive properties of a
pairwise count method.

>Actually, the method by itself can elect a fixed number of candidates,
>which is why it would make a good completion rule for Condorcet winning
>groups.

Sorry, wasn't paying enough attention.  I must've had a rough day :-(

Craig