List PR

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Fri Jun 15 09:17:39 PDT 2001

One thing I forgot to mention in the previous posting is that one coarse
adjustment commonly used in weighted voting systems (which systems with
solid blocs effectively are) is to adjust the quota up from 50% to a
higher value.

In my example, adjusting the quota to 62% or above would give the other
provinces some voting power.

In Blake's example, adjusting the quota to 53% would shut out the tiny
state. But adjusting it even further up to , say, 99%, would give it veto
power.

The other common adjustment is to give the smaller blocs super
proportional representation according to the square root rule of thumb.

It seems to me that these two coarse adjustments should be combined for
optimum effect before trying any fine tuning, such as giving a single
representative a fraction of a vote or a vote plus a fraction.

Forest