[EM] List PR

LAYTON Craig Craig.LAYTON at add.nsw.gov.au
Thu Jun 14 17:40:35 PDT 2001

>Suppose that P5 gets only four percent of the vote. Then their share of
>the ten seats is roughly .04*10, less than half a seat, so I assume that
>this party gets no seat.

I should have explained the d'Hondt count.  It is my preferred method for
allocating seats in a list PR system.  Seats are awarded in "rounds".  In
each round, divide each party's total number of votes by the number of seats
they have already been awarded +1.  The party with the highest total gets a
seat (tied parties all get a seat).  Continue until there are no seats left.
In this scenario, P5 could not get a seat.

The d'Hondt count is often said to disadvantage minority candidates, but as
long as there is no minimum quota, it is the fairest way to allocate seats.
The party getting the final seat will end up with one candidate for every n
voters, where n is always greater than the number of votes for any party not
recieving any seats.

Craig