[EM] Yahoo IRV email lists

LAYTON Craig Craig.LAYTON at add.nsw.gov.au
Tue Jun 12 21:45:14 PDT 2001

Bart wrote:

>Well, that's about my endurance limit...
>   http://newhawaii.org/irv.htm

Interesting. The obsession with having a majority might be resulting in bad
legislation;

"(d) If the last remaining candidate did not receive a majority of the votes
cast, excluding blank and spoiled votes, the chief election officer shall
prepare a report of no election."

My experience with American legislation is decidedly limited, but this
sounds a bit dodgy.  The law provides a number of ways for ballots to be
exhausted, so it seems to me that it's reasonably likely to happen.  Does
anyone know what happens when there is a "report of no election"?

It also seems to be a disturbing contradiction to provide a special rule to
decide between the last two remaining (tied) candidates, when the candidate
winning the tie-breaker will never have a majority of votes cast, and
therefore will never win the election.