[EM] Judicial &c. Elections

LAYTON Craig Craig.LAYTON at add.nsw.gov.au
Sun Jul 29 16:53:47 PDT 2001

>Of course, you might be able to develop a system
>where judges are appointed regardless of their politics.  Similarly,
>you might be able to choose Presidents without regard to their
>politics.  But the result is that you get someone of random ideology,
>not someone who isn't political.

Perhaps I should have said 'less political' rather than 'not political'.
There are some examples; Italy and Portugal have judiciaries entirely
independent of the Government (they do use the Roman system, though, which
is very different to the Anglo-American or Napoleonic systems).  Israel has
done a fairly good job of keeping its president non-political.  The proposed
republic in Australia (which was unfortunately voted down in the referendum)
would have had a President appointed by 2/3 of the Parliament, with powers
and responsibilities based on the current post of Governor-General (the
Queen's representative) which has been, by and large, non-political to date.