[EM] Majority Rule

LAYTON Craig Craig.LAYTON at add.nsw.gov.au
Sun Jul 29 16:31:14 PDT 2001

>I think people have just come to associate majorities with
>democracy, through the simple case of two alternatives, where
>majority rule makes a kind of sense, but only as a special
>case.

Unfortunately, the Westminster(ish) systems of Government; UK, Australia,
Canada; depend on the concept of parliamentary majority to operate.  In
order to make a government/appoint a cabinet, you need to demonstrate that
you have the backing of the majority of the lower house.  Where this isn't
possible, the parliament gets dissolved and goes back to the polls.  While
minority governments are possible, they are rare - parties are normally
forced into coalitions to create a two-party system.  It should be noted
that much of this system is based on traditions and motions and regulations
passed by parliament, rather than on the constitution or common law, so
there is no easy way to change it.  If it is desirable to change it, that
is.