[EM] Responses to some of Forest's ideas

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Wed Jul 25 17:55:59 PDT 2001

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Richard Moore wrote:

> Forest Simmons wrote:
>
> > The results of these simulations would depend on what strategy you used
> > for zero info Approval. Did you use above mean, not below median, above
> > midrange, above largest gap, some combination of these, or Richard's
> > optimal method?
>

> Forest,
>
> Which method? The only optimal zero-info method (from a
> utility-expectation viewpoint) that I know is the above-mean
> strategy, valid for large populations. The only other
> Approval strategy I remember proposing, besides the "neural
> network" strategy of voting whichever way "feels" best, was
> an approximation for small populations. I never really
> determined how good that approximation is, so I don't
> consider it optimal. Is that the method you mean?

I vaguely remember that there was a sudden realization that the above mean
criterion was necessary but not sufficient for optimizing expected utility
in a zero-info environment.

I also remembered that you made excellent progress on the small population
case, and (prematurely?) gave you credit for an asymptotic solution in the
large population case :-)

Forest