average voting power and block votes

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Sun Jul 22 07:58:13 PDT 2001

> In a message dated 7/21/01 5:20:46 PM, rmoore4 at home.com wrote:
>
> <<Any ideas on what a good nonpartisan nomination procedure might be? >>
>
> ---
> D- Nonpartisan nominating petitions signed by electors (voters) have been
> around a very long time -- as used in a zillion local governments in the
> U.S.A.

rmoore-

I have a hard time imagining that on a national scale. How many
competing petition drives might there be prior to a given election?

Besides, it takes a good bit of organization to gather
signatures on such a scale and over such a wide geographical
area, so in the end the most-organized  candidates -- those
with some kind of political machine backing them up -- will
get nominated. So we're back where we started.
---
D- I believe most, if not all, State Governors are nominated via nominating
petitions (to get on primary election ballots).

Even when there is no incumbent there are NOT a *large* number of candidates
for such office - even in California with about 10 million voters.

The office of U.S.A. President has some very dangerous vestiges of the U.K.
monarchy of the Middle Ages --- the veto power (Art. I, Sec. 7), treaty
making power, appointment power of ALL U.S.A. judges and many high level
executive officers (Art. II, Sec. 2) --- both very dangerous violations of
the principle of separation of legislative, executive and judicial powers.

A package of reforms includes getting rid of such vestiges of the U.K.
monarchy.

U.S.A. executive officers such as U.S.A. Attorney General, Secretary of
State, District Attorneys and Marshals and ALL U.S.A. judges should be
elected.

Result --- The President would have NO legislative powers (the endless source
of legislative- executive machinations in all sorts of countries for 7,000
years) and NO executive-judicial appointment machinations (especially for
appointments to the U.S.A. Supreme Court-- currently there is something of a
minor/ major constitutional crisis every time there is a vacancy on the 9
member Court).

Many State Governors have similar veto and appointment powers with the same
remedies.