[EM] Black's method

Rob LeGrand honky1998 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 19 08:31:19 PDT 2001

> Can you describe Black? I don't think I've ever seen this
> method or possibly I don't know it by this name.

Certainly.  Black simply chooses the Condorcet winner if one
exists and the Borda winner otherwise.  Black doesn't meet
Smith or independence of clones.  I've noticed several
authors liking Black because of its high incidence of
agreement with Condorcet and Borda.  Example:

http://www.econ.kuleuven.ac.be/ew/admin/publications/DPS99/Dps9911.pdf

Besides meeting the Condorcet criterion, I don't think Black
has any advantage over Borda.

--
Rob LeGrand
honky98 at aggies.org