[EM] Is "Inverse Nanson" better than standard Nanson?

Markus Schulze schulze at sol.physik.tu-berlin.de
Tue Jul 10 12:26:17 PDT 2001

Dear Blake,

Condorcet wrote ("Essai sur l'application de l'analyse a la
probabilite des decisions rendues a la pluralite des voix,"
Imprimerie Royale, 1785, p. 125-127):

You wrote (8 July 2001):
> I have to agree with Mike.  Condorcet says to "create" an opinion
> of the n*(n-1)/2 propositions. I take this as a description of
> how to find the initial opinion, not a definion of what an opinion
> is.  What Condorcet means by "opinion" can only be pieced together
> in context.  So, I don't view the n*(n-1)/2 as a fixed part of the
> definition of an opinion.

I don't agree with you. To my opinion, it is clear that an
opinion is a set of n*(n-1)/2 propositions (one for each pair
of candidates).

Markus Schulze